Fri 27th: A replan after speaking to lady on hotel reception; she recommends the Greyline tour as it includes entrance for all the key places which the town trolley does not, but it's full for the afternoon, so we book for Saturday morning. Instead we head over to Gaylord Opryland, an amazing hotel/convention centre/restaurants/boating lake, and stroll. Lorna is suffering with a very painful foot which keeps flaring up, I'm concerned. We head over to the Mall and pass the Grand Old Opry on the way. It should actually be the New Grand Old Opry, as it's only been in this position in Music Valley for around ten years, having been moved from its original down town location. As with most US malls, this is staggeringly large, and one restaurant is actually an aquarium complete with sharks and other friendly fishes. Lorna buys another pair of Bernie Mev, this time with full toes ready for GKtW.After coffee and a muffin we head back to the hotel before hitting down town for a stroll along Broadway.
Well here we are in downtown Nashville, just another couple of wannabees looking for a good time, and if you're into music, especially country music, then this is the place to come to. The main area is along Broadway between the river and 5th street where the singers and groups in all the bars and restaurants are trying to get noticed and make it BIG. They get paid a very small wage, but after that they play for tips. Those that can't get a slot in one of the bars busk on the street, and that feels pretty desperate. Most of the bars you can drop into, there's no cover charge, and you don't even need to buy a drink, you can just listen to the music........and it's an all day affair, from morning to early morning, the acts usually do a four hour stint.
I was in Nashville some 15 years ago on business with Modicon, and I remember we ate at The Stock Yards, a very up-market restaurant, on-line now they don't even show the prices, and our lady shuttle driver reckons it'd probably cost around $100 for a meal there. After I also remember we hit the bars on Broadway, but which one, I'm sure I recognise it, but then quite a few look the same.
We hit a couple of bars and listen to some music, it's all pretty good, and we leave tips at each. I am amazed when I hear myself ordering Bud Light, but I needed some water, and that's the closest thing they had. We down burgers and ice cream at Margariteville before heading back to our hotel. We are looking forward to seeing Lionel Ritchie tomorrow.
Well here we are in downtown Nashville, just another couple of wannabees looking for a good time, and if you're into music, especially country music, then this is the place to come to. The main area is along Broadway between the river and 5th street where the singers and groups in all the bars and restaurants are trying to get noticed and make it BIG. They get paid a very small wage, but after that they play for tips. Those that can't get a slot in one of the bars busk on the street, and that feels pretty desperate. Most of the bars you can drop into, there's no cover charge, and you don't even need to buy a drink, you can just listen to the music........and it's an all day affair, from morning to early morning, the acts usually do a four hour stint.
I was in Nashville some 15 years ago on business with Modicon, and I remember we ate at The Stock Yards, a very up-market restaurant, on-line now they don't even show the prices, and our lady shuttle driver reckons it'd probably cost around $100 for a meal there. After I also remember we hit the bars on Broadway, but which one, I'm sure I recognise it, but then quite a few look the same.
We hit a couple of bars and listen to some music, it's all pretty good, and we leave tips at each. I am amazed when I hear myself ordering Bud Light, but I needed some water, and that's the closest thing they had. We down burgers and ice cream at Margariteville before heading back to our hotel. We are looking forward to seeing Lionel Ritchie tomorrow.
I'm back in Lorna's good books when Hanna has to report that Rutland Times have accepted my nomination of Lorna for the Inspired in Rutland awards. Hanna reads my nomination and it moves me again as it did when I wrote it, it's quite a story when you put it all together, and Lorna is pleased to have been nominated, and has to write and accept the nomination.
Lucy lets us know that she is still alive, and off to Leeds for the weekend with Lisa.
Spend Today: Greyline Tour (card, hotel bill?); more shoes for Lorna (card); dinner at Jimmy Buffet (card); drinks and town shuttle (cash)
No comments:
Post a Comment